• If you are in a relationship with a person who is not a permanent resident in Australia, you may be able to sponsor them to live with you in Australia as your partner permanently.


    As an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen you may be able to choose one of the following pathways to sponsor your partner to come to Australia, remain in Australia and live and work permanently in Australia.


    You may be eligible to apply for one of the following three pathways depending on your situation.



    Partner Visa (Subclasses 820 & 801)


    The Partner Visa (Subclasses 820 & 801) are for applicants applying onshore. If you are married or in a de facto relationship with your partner you may be eligible to apply for this visa.


    For de facto applicants, you need to provide evidence of being in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months, or you can register your relationship with your relevant state or territory to waive this requirement.

    For married applicants, you need to satisfy the genuine relationship requirement by providing evidence you are in a genuine and continuing relationship.



    Partner visa (Subclass 309 & 100)


    The Partner (Provisional) visa (Subclass 309) & Partner (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 100) is for applicant’s whom are applying from overseas.


    If you are in a de facto relationship and your partner is overseas they are then able to apply for a partner visa from outside of Australia


    Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)


    The Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300) allows an applicant to travel to Australia to marry their prospective spouse.

    After this visa is granted the visa holder has up to nine months to get married – they can get married in Australia or overseas.


    Once married, the visa holder must then then apply for a Partner Visa (subclasses 820 & 801) within nine months of arriving in Australia at a reduced visa application charge.